VIGNETTE > Yacht Harbor
In 1959, the Mill Valley City Council requested Bala & Strandgaard, Civil Engineers, to make a preliminary feasibility study for the proposed Mill Valley small craft harbor in the marshlands east of the railroad (now the Bay Shore shared use path). Their report concluded, “A harbor is feasible—and could pay for itself.” The proposed First Stage Harbor would include berthing facilities for 110 boats, launching facilities, adequate parking area, fueling pier, clubhouse with office, cafeteria with restrooms, and appurtenant facilities such as water, sewer and electricity. The marsh would be filled with dredged material and finished with dry fill
and crushed rock. In April 1962, Mayor Bob Huber turned a shovelful of earth dedicating the harbor. Dredging began somewhat later. By October 1963, rats were fleeing the harbor dredging and infesting Mill Valley. Dredging was completed in 1965. A map of the proposed development showed the following features from west to east on Sycamore: the existing railroad, a rapid transit line, a 4-lane Intercity Highway, a parking lot and the harbor. A bridge let Sycamore extend to highway 101. The report stated that the Mill Valley Harbor was entirely dependent on dredging of the Sausalito Canal from the harbor entrance to the deep water channel at Marinship in Sausalito, about two miles distant. Since this never happened, there is no yacht harbor. In its place is a tidal estuary bordering Bay Front Park.