In 1902, a group of Mill Valley women met to discuss the idea of forming a local women’s civic club. 35 women signed up as founders of the Outdoor Art Club (OAC). Its bylaws stated: “The purpose of the association shall be to preserve the natural scenery of Mill Valley and of the surrounding country, to beautify the grounds around the public buildings, to endeavor to create public sentiment against the wanton destruction of birds and game, and in all directions to encourage the development of Outdoor Art as well as to engage in what is known as civic, social and literary work.” Renowned architect Bernard Maybeck designed the building at 2 Throckmorton Ave. Contractor Charles Alsup completed construction in 1904. In 1906, it was turned over to the Red Cross to shelter and feed victims of the San Francisco earthquake and fire. The OAC has made major contributions to Mill Valley’s cultural life,. The building is on the National Register of Historic Buildings.
The Outdoor Art Club is a women’s civic club founded in 1902. The Maybeck designed clubhouse at 2 Throckmorton is on the National Register of Historic Buildings.