VIGNETTE > Tam High Expansion

Tamalpais High School 1921  (note train stop platform in front of the gym)

Tamalpais High School 1921 (note train stop platform in front of the gym)

The Tamalpais Union High School District originally encompassed only the Sausalito and Mill Valley Elementary School Districts. Students in the following elementary school districts attended San Rafael High School: San Anselmo, Fairfax, Ross, Kentfield, Corte Madera, Larkspur, Belvedere, Tiburon, and Bolinas. In 1921, the state passed a law mandating elementary school districts to tie with a high school. Citizens in all the Ross Valley school districts voted, mostly by overwhelming majorities, to tie with the Tamalpais Union High School District rather than with the San Rafael High School District. In 1923, Tam High underwent a large expansion in both its student body and its tax assessment base. Sausalito kids took the Mill Valley train to Tam High, and Ross Valley kids were entitled to the same service. A five-car school train called “The Special” picked up students from Manor in Fairfax through the Ross Valley to Corte Madera. Two cars were for boys, two cars were for girls and one car was coed. It went through the tunnel between Corte Madera and Mill Valley and backed into the Tam High stop. Busses brought students from Belvedere/Tiburon and from Bolinas/Stinson Beach.

Want  more info? Read the History of Homestead Valley article:
Tamalpais High School