Mill Valley Market currently occupies three buildings on Corte Madera Ave. In 1954, it moved into one of the buildings. It subsequently expanded into the other two buildings. Prior to 1954, other food stores occupied the buildings including Tamalpais Market, Cash and Carry Market, Quality Market, Tamalpais Grocery and Green Frog Market. Other businesses in the buildings included PG&E, La Provençal French Laundry & Cleaning, The White Mill restaurant, Meet the Quinn’s bar and Marin County Milk Co. In 1929, Frank Canepa had purchased the original Mill Valley Market located at 118 Throckmorton. His moving in day, July 2, 1929, was the day of the disastrous fire on the middle ridge. With half his produce in the store and the other half still on a truck, Frank was pressed into firefighting duties. A sudden change in wind direction just before midnight the next day saved the business district from incineration.
Frank Canepa moved into the original Mill Valley Market at 118 Throckmorton on the day of the great fire, 7/2/29. In 1954 he moved the market to its present location in a building that had housed other grocery stores. He later expanded into two adjacent buildings.