Vignette > Brown’s Hall
In 1934, Bill Brown loaned the Homestead Progressive Club $2000 for construction of a community center on Miller Ave. near the Brown Jug that he had founded in 1906, now named the 2 AM Club. Brown’s Hall became the site of plays, concerts, dances, parties, celebrations, meetings, and rummage sales. It was also rented out for such events as a weekly dog training class. During the 1963 Candlelight Concert Series, the internationally acclaimed Alma Trio gave an outstanding performance before a standing room only audience. Early the next morning, a fire broke out and destroyed the interior of Brown’s Hall. The cause of the fire was never determined, although a closet containing paint and solvents was suspect. Reconstruction was made possible by a $10,000 loan courageously made by the Mill Valley branch manager of the Bank of America. Homestead craftsmen volunteered their services. After several months of effort, a completely renovated and improved Brown’s Hall was ready for community activities and cultural events. An upstairs conference room was new. In 1972, Brown’s Hall was sold to the Buddhists of Marin for their temple. A home next to Homestead School was purchased for a community center.