American Legion Hall In 1948, the American Legion began construction of the largest veterans building in Marin Co. It would have a 500-person auditorium. Mill Valley Post No. 284 conducted a money-raising program by raffling off a home. George Goheen donated the building site at 467 Miller Avenue. Individual loans from members added to the building fund. A surplus building used at Camp Beale near Marysville as a regimental post exchange was acquired from the War Assets Administration. It was dismantled, moved in sections to Mill Valley and partially reassembled. The building had an oil stove, oil furnace, tile for the kitchen, plumbing, electric wiring and fixtures and other appurtenances. Construction was carried out with volunteer labor. The building, 50 ft. wide by 144 ft. long, faced the lane to Valley Circle. The building was remodeled to conform to the English architecture advocated by the city planning commission. In addition to the auditorium, the American Legion Hall contained an assembly hall, kitchen, card room, office, stage, storage rooms, rest rooms, furnace room, and a private clubroom. In addition to Post No. 284 meetings, the hall hosted dances, the Firemen’s Annual Ball, meetings of various clubs, card parties, and political meetings. It also served as a polling place.