VIGNETTE > 24 Sunnyside

Old Ranch Bakery Lunch Room (1889) – [click to enlarge]

The Old Ranch Bakery Lunch Room established in 1889 was the first restaurant in downtown Mill Valley.  In 1938 there were only three restaurants: Esposti’s, The Log Cabin and The Sequoia Grotto. Since then, many have come and gone. An extreme example is the former residence at 24 Sunnyside. It has housed eleven different restaurants since 1973.
Sidney G. Woodyatt (American) 1973                      (1 year)
Be Here Now Café (American) 1974                        (1 year)
[Named for a 1971 book on spirituality and yoga]
Don Pancho’s (Mexican) 1975 -1982                       (7 years)
The Cottage (Cordial California Cuisine) 1983                  (1 year)
Ristorante Lucca (Italian) 1984 – 1996                      (12 years)
[In 1993, a microbrewery permit was denied]
Toi Thai (Authentic Thai Food) 1996 – 2002            (6 years)
[Owner/chef was a Bangkok native]
First Crush (Continental) 2004                                   (1 year)
[An offshoot of a San Francisco restaurant]
Mi Casa (Mexican) 2005                                            (1 year)
Ora (Asian Fusion) 2006 – 2008                                (2 years)
Tsukiji (Japanese) 2009 – 2012                                 (3 years)
Prabh  (Authentic Indian Food) 2013 to date
Of the nine different cuisines, Italian (12 years), Mexican (8 years)  and Thai (6 years) had the most success.

24 Sunnyside [click to enlarge]