Historic Mill Valley
Interpretive Sign Project
When the Golden Gate Bridge was completed in 1938, Greyhound buses replaced the passenger train service from Mill Valley to the Sausalito ferry. The tracks on Miller Avenue were left in place for freight trains and two-way traffic traveled the road on the southwest side of the tracks. The other side was for parking.
In 1950, the Locust Business District had the largest concentration of automobile sales and service in Marin County. There were auto dealerships, two repair garages, an auto parts store, an automotive machine shop and five service stations, now reduced to two service stations and a few repair shops. In the Quonsets, the Miller Avenue Shopping Center contained a grocery store, meat market, drug store, soda fountain, beauty salon, and post office. After it closed in the 1980s, the first Whole Foods in the Bay Area took the site.
Over the years, Locust Avenue held a market, beauty salon, clothing store and a bakery, later a barbershop and Brothers Tavern, and later still a bead shop and second hand store. Around the corner on Miller Avenue, Casper Gardner developed shops that held
A block away, the 2 AM Club competed with Brothers Tavern for customers, but also in baseball teams and an annual football game, complete with a marching band.
More information about the Locust area is on the Mill Valley Historical Society’s website. Two Vignettes describe “eating out” on Miller Avenue in 1938 and 1948.