Skip to content


Vignette > City Hall

In October 1935, during the Great Depression, Mill Valley voters approved a bond issue to construct a new City Hall. The Town Hall/Fire house built in 1908 had become inadequate. In December 1935, the old building and an adjacent building were demolished, and construction of the new building began. The new City Hall was dedicated…

Read More

VIGNETTE > Automobile Dealers

thumbnail of plugin-newsletter-2006-fall

Prior to 1908 most automobiles were large touring cars that cost thousands of dollars.  They were often called toys for the rich. In 1908, the Ford Model T became available at a much lower price. In 1912, the following ad appeared in the Mill Valley Record: “Levy and Schaad of San Rafael has taken the…

Read More

VIGNETTE > Famous Tam High Alumni

Many Tam High alumni became famous as entertainers, musicians, athletes, journalists, scientists and artists.  Ten examples. William L. Patterson: 1911 — Attorney, close friend of Paul Robeson, an outstanding leader in campaigns to save victims of racial oppression. Eve Arden: 1926 — Film, stage, and television actress, performed in leading and supporting roles over nearly…

Read More


On June 28, 1963 a fire in the Jolly Stores building at 393 Miller Ave. completely destroyed the Jolly Market, Jolly Liquors, Jolly Coffee Shop and Marion Electric. The owner of the building announced that a supermarket would be a tenant as quickly as possible. Food King supermarket opened in 1964, and Jolly Liquors became…

Read More

VIGNETTE > Town Hall

When Mill Valley was incorporated as a town in 1900, official meetings were held in Grethel’s Hall on the second floor above the Eastland Bakery at 18 Miller Avenue.  In October 1903, the town offices relocated to the newly built Masonic Hall at the foot of Corte Madera Avenue. In 1902, the Town purchased property…

Read More

VIGNETTE > Alto Tunnel

In 1875, the North Pacific Coast Railroad (NPC) began passenger and freight service to and from Sausalito to Corte Madera and stations as far north as the Russian River. The track crossed Richardson Bay to Strawberry and climbed up over Collins Summit, now highway 101, to Corte Madera.  In the early 1880’s, NPC began construction…

Read More
Scroll To Top