2017

Vignette > Redwood’s Age

Startling news headline on June 3, 2015, “Oldest Muir Woods redwood is only half its estimated age. At 777 years old, Tree #76 is just a babe in the woods.”  Scientists’ best guesses had the trees in the 1200- to 1500-year-old-range. Allyson Carroll, a Humboldt State University tree-ring specialist found that the 249-foot-tall beauty is…

Read More

Vignette > Almonte

Almonte is an unincorporated community of about 650 residences mostly located on the hill between Tam High and Tam Valley. The 1902 Tamalpais Land & Water Co. Map No. 6, “Lands Adjacent to Homestead Valley”, identifies 33 multi-acre blocks of land. Those in the Reed Creek watershed are now in Homestead Valley.  The others are…

Read More

Vignette > Six Heroines

Women have played a significant role in making Mill Valley a city to be proud of. Laura White founded the California Club of San Francisco in 1897. In 1902, Laura decided that Mill Valley needed such a club. The Outdoor Art Club (OAC), designed by Bernard Maybeck was built in 1904. Edna Foster in 1938…

Read More

Vignette > Mill Valley’s 2nd School

Homestead School opened on January 13, 1908 with 50 first and second graders who had been attending the grammar school on Summit Ave.  Only 19 pupils lived in Homestead Valley; the rest came from Mill Valley, Millwood and Alto.  Enrollment averaged 46 for the semester, 28 boys and 18 girls aged 6 to 14.  They…

Read More

Vignette > Historic Painting

High up on the rear wall of the Mill Valley City Council Chambers is a 5 ft. by 20 ft. painting of Mount Tamalpais. The breathtaking landscape was originally one of six large masterpieces completed by Ettore Serbaroli for the 1915 Panama Pacific International Exposition. After the exposition it was mounted on a wall of…

Read More

Vignette > Sulphur Spring

In a 1984 article, Mill Valley historian Henri Bussy wrote, “One of the commercial ventures of Mill Valley was a gratuitous one.  Around 1891, a sulphur spring was discovered in the fields on the site of Old Mill School. By 1895 a gazebo had been built over it and people came from the entire bay…

Read More