2016

VIGNETTE > Goheen Gulch

The eastern part of Sycamore Park is often jokingly called Goheen Gulch. In 1940, as part of the clandestine involvement in the war in Europe, the federal government urged Mill Valley’s Bank of America to finance “defense housing.”  In the1930s, George Goheen had purchased Scott’s El Cerrito Tract southwest of the corner of East Blithedale…

Read More

VIGNETTE > Tamalpais Land & Water Co.

In 1888, the Tamalpais Land & Water Company (TL&WC) was chartered as a 100-year corporation.  Its major asset was Rancho Sausalito, originally the 19,000-acre Mexican land grant made to William Richardson in 1841.  Samuel Throckmorton had owned it from 1855 until his death in 1883. TL&WC’s objective was to profit from land sales. Michael O’Shaughnessy…

Read More

VIGNETTE > Belvedere Reservoir

Mill Valley’s original water supply facilities installed in 1890 proved inadequate as the town grew. In 1893, the Tamalpais Land & Water Co. (TL&WC) constructed a dam and reservoir in Cascade Canyon. A new 12-inch pipeline brought water from Fern Creek on Mt. Tamalpais. In 1902, TL&WC split off its water operations forming the North…

Read More

VIGNETTE > Tamalpais Park School

The original four-classroom schoolhouse opened in April 1909 for grades 1-4. In 1934, local builder Melvin Klyce built more classrooms so that the school could house kindergarten through grade 5.  In 1927, Edna Maguire was transferred from Homestead School to become teacher-principal. In 1938, funds from a bond issue added to funding by the depression-era…

Read More

VIGNETTE > Azoreans

In the 19th century, whaling ships stopped in Portugal’s Azores Islands, 900 miles west of Portugal in the North Atlantic, to take on water and deck hands. The whaling port of New Bedford, Massachusetts saw an influx of Azoreans. So did Sausalito where whaling ships stopped to take on water in Whaler’s Cove. In 1869,…

Read More

VIGNETTE > Anamás Midden

About 5000 years ago, the Coast Miwoks established permanent residence sites around San Francisco Bay. By the time the Spaniards arrived in the late 18th century, the sites had become large mounds often referred to as middens, an old English word for dump. The midden on Sycamore between Locust and Amicita was the site of…

Read More