Skip to content

2014

Vignette > Hickman’s Service Station

In 1948, Frank Hickman became a Chevron Dealer. His service station was on the corner of Evergreen and Miller.  From 1956 to 1961, Preston McCoy worked part time in the station while attending Tam High and College of Marin.  His reminiscences appeared in the Mill Valley Historical Society’s Spring 2014 Review. “Hickman’s Chevron Service was…

Read More

Vignette > Sweetwater

Part of historic Masonic Hall on Corte Madera Ave. has been renovated. It now houses Sweetwater’s large room for music and restaurant. Opening night was January 27, 2012. From 1964 to 1971, the bar located at 153 Throckmorton was called The Office. In the basement of this historic building were lockers for hikers who changed…

Read More

Vignette > Fostine

Manuol Faustino da Machado, born in the Azores in 1859, came to California in 1878. Historical documents usually refer to him as Manual Fostine. He initially worked on laying the roadbed for the new section of railroad from Sausalito to the tunnel between Mill Valley and Corte Madera that was completed in 1884. He then…

Read More

Vignette > Marin Theater Company

Throughout the 1960s, the Homestead Players produced plays in Brown’s Hall, the community center of the Homestead Valley Improvement Club on Miller Ave. On May 6, 1966, it was the American Premiere of “The Obscene Temple” written by famous San Francisco playwright Lester Cole. The first performance was a benefit for the Student Nonviolent Coordinating…

Read More

Vignette > Druid Heights

This five-acre plot of land is east and up hill from the Muir Woods parking lot. In 1954, Elsa Gidlow, an unusual, fiercely independent Greenwich Village poet, anarchist and lesbian moved to this rural hillside patch with its few tumble-down frame houses and barns. She named it Druid Heights. It soon became a “beatnik” enclave…

Read More

VIGNETTE > 2AM Club

John W. “Bill” Brown was born in Chicago in 1863. He, his mother and his sister came to Marin in 1894 and established a camping resort at Willow Camp (Stinson Beach). In 1904 he built a house in unincorporated Homestead Valley on the corner of Ethel Ave. and Richardson St. (now Montford Ave.).  In 1906,…

Read More
Scroll To Top