2013

VIGNETTE > 4-H Valley Riders

In 1952, a group of teenage horse lovers founded a club called the 4-H Valley Riders. They fixed up buildings on the historic, non-operative and rundown Hillside Dairy on Sequoia Valley Road They turned it into a horse ranch with a makeshift boarding facility, corral, horse ring and club headquarters.  It would later become the…

Read More

VIGNETTE > Post Office on Sunnyside

In 1939 the federal government purchased three houses on Sunnyside at East Blithedale.  One house was demolished. The other two were moved to other sites. A post office was constructed on the property in the Spanish Mission revival architecture typical of a government building. It opened in 1940. In 1942, shortly after Pearl Harbor, an…

Read More

VIGNETTE > Elementary Schools

By 1907 it was obvious that because of increased migration from San Francisco, a consequence of the earthquake, the elementary school, later known as Summit School, would run out of space for pupils.  A second school was required.  In January 1908 a one room school in Homestead Valley opened with 50 children in grades 1…

Read More

VIGNETTE > Mill Valley Market

Mill Valley Market currently occupies three buildings on Corte Madera Ave. In 1954, it moved into one of the buildings. It subsequently expanded into the other two buildings. Prior to 1954, other food stores occupied the buildings including Tamalpais Market, Cash and Carry Market, Quality Market, Tamalpais Grocery and Green Frog Market. Other businesses in…

Read More

VIGNETTE > Blithedale Hotel

Tourist accommodations existed in Blithedale Canyon long before the subdivision of ranch land began in Mill Valley in 1890. The Blithedale Hotel (with cottages) was located on land that had not been claimed as part of either the Reed or Richardson Mexican land grants. By 1880, it had become one of the most popular and…

Read More

VIGNETTE > The Quonsets

The grand opening of the Miller Avenue Shopping Center on the corner of Miller and Evergreen was 9 AM Friday April 18, 1947. An experienced grocer, Louis Ferrera, was the developer. It was housed in interconnected Quonset huts, a WW II  building structure used for  military purposes and temporary housing for veterans on college campuses.…

Read More