History Of Sunnyside Tract


Sunnyside Tract

In the late 1850’s a squatter named Ebenezer Wormouth moved onto part of the land granted to John Reed as the Rancho Corte Madera del Presidio by the Mexican Governor in 1834. This land was bounded by Corte Madera Creek, Buena Vista Avenue and the Boyle Park Area. The County Road, now known as East Blithedale, ran through the property. In 1881 Wormouth filed for a government homestead on 46.26 acres.

Lots in Sunnyside Tract between Sunnyside Avenue and Forrest Street. The tract was subdivided by the Lyon & Hoag Real Estate firm in 1902. MVU1626

Lots in Sunnyside Tract between Sunnyside Avenue and Forrest Street. The tract was subdivided by the Lyon & Hoag Real Estate firm in 1902.
MVU1626 – Courtesy of the Lucretia Little History Room, Mill Valley Public Library

The property had long been in dispute and had been the most contested of all Mill Valley parcels in the legal battles stemming from the United States surveys of the Mexican Land Grants. After Wormouth’s death, feuding relatives, anxious to convert his real estate into cash, sold it to the developers, Lyon & Hoag. In 1901 the land was subdivided as the Sunnyside Tract and lots were sold ranging in price from $300 to $750. Terms were 10% cash, balance $10 monthly.

Sunnyside Avenue looking toward the depot from Blithedale Avenue in the 1900's.George Lyon of Lyon & Hoag Real Estate is looking over his property. MVU1054

Sunnyside Avenue looking toward the depot from Blithedale Avenue in the 1900’s.George Lyon of Lyon & Hoag Real Estate is looking over his property.
MVU1054 – Courtesy of the Lucretia Little History Room, Mill Valley Public Library

The hillside lots on Buena Vista with views of the bay and forested lots closer to the railroad were the most expensive lots. One year after the lots went on the market, a new advertisement appeared stating that “over 100 lots sold last spring. Many handsome homes have been built.”

Hillside above Miller Avenue c. 1902, with lots staked out for development.

Hillside above Miller Avenue c. 1902, with lots staked out for development.

Sunnyside Tract around 1902, before development. The homes in the distance are above Oakdale Avenue.
MVU1630 – Courtesy of the Lucretia Little History Room, Mill Valley Public Library

Sunnyside in 1902. Blithedale Avenue is running diagonally from right to left center.

Hoags subdivision of Sunnyside Tract in 1906. Photo taken from the corner of Hill Street and Sunnyside Avenue. Houses pictured are on Buena Vista Avenue.
MVU1628 – Courtesy of the Lucretia Little History Room, Mill Valley Public Library

A. L. Leaf, plastering contractor at Hill Street and East Blithedale Avenue, c. 1909, in front of Sunnyside Tract subdivision.
MVU1629 – Courtesy of the Lucretia Little History Room, Mill Valley Public Library