The Mill Valley Lumberyard served Mill Valley for well over 100 years as a Lumber and Hardware store. (They first opened in 1892) It was the gateway to Mill Valley, as generations of visitors arrived by train. Eventually, Miller Avenue laid pavement over the tracks, (early 1940’s) and it then served as the gateway to downtown for auto traffic.
The Lumberyard went out of business in 2011 and was sold to Mill Valley residents, Matt and Jan Mathews. Their vision to keep this historic relic alive is beginning to take shape. The first step was to hold off bulldozers who could have come in, mow it down, and build something afresh. The next step is now taking place, attracting tenants who will bring new and innovative ideas to the community.
The grand opening of the first tenant took place on September 17th. Stephen Gordon is the proprietor of Guideboats Co, a company that sells boating attire, equipment, and canoe-type boats. Their showroom and retail store are now in what used to be sawmill rooms and the hardware store.
Their long term plan is to bring an eclectic mix of businesses that can continue to energize this location and add a charm to the entrance of downtown Mill Valley. It’s possible that part of the old lumberyard may one day house restaurants or smaller type cafeterias.